mysql-server

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Wed Mar 30 00:44:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, March 29, 2005 3:45 pm, Pettit, Paul said:
>> > Heh, well do you happen to know when the yum auto update
>> > runs?
>>
>> When ever you tell it to.
>
> Ooooh, so tempting ...
>
> Um, no. It runs when cron.daily runs and that runs at ONE time in the
> day. Move the time cron.daily runs and you move the time a ton of other
> things run.
>
> Remember we are talking with the *stock* setup as detailed in the
> documentation.

The *stock* setup *works* for the vast majority of FL users.  You
obviously have different needs.  I've suggested a solution and even wrote
a small script in attempt to solve your problem.  Did you see it?

If you wan yum to run at 7:00AM Mon-Fri, it's pretty simple to set it up
to do so.  Make sure that the yum service is off (`service yum stop;
chkconfig yum off`), copy the yum.cron script somewhere you see fit,
modify it to not check the config status of yum and not to sleep some
random time between 0 and 120 minutes and add the following to root's
crontab:

0 7 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /etc/<somewhere>/yum.cron

> Just why is scheduling updates (or limiting them to business days in
> what ever TZ your in) bad? You rejected it but with no actual
> explaination.

When it comes to security updates (the goal of FL), the sooner these
updates are released to the community, the better.  If you would only like
updates to be applied during a specific time period, see my solution
above.

> Because you have rejected the problem without explination of why you
> feel this isn't a problem beyond the "you shouldn't use auto-updating"
> or "it's a yum problem" answer of which neither is valid. As stewards of
> these updates you bear a bit more responsibility than that.

See above.

-Dave