mysql-server

Peter J. Holzer hjp+fedora-legacy at wsr.ac.at
Wed Mar 30 10:52:57 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-29 16:16:10 -0600, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> The problem is that as setup (via FL's own documentation) there is no
> granular control. The default is 'on' or 'off' and that's it.

That's what cron and shell-scripts are for. One tool for every job.

> Not very handy when you add to that FL's policy of pushing updates out
> as soon as possible without consideration to timing. It's not a bad
> policy but ...

I agree with others that FL should NOT consider timing. Local policies
vary wildly between organisations. One organization may have a policy to
make updates only on monday to thursday, while another may have a policy
to make them only on sunday morning (I do know one company where changes
on production servers are only allowed on sunday from 00:00 to 06:00).
These are local policies, and they should be implemented locally. FL
cannot know about them and I think it is not a good idea for FL to
decide for its users when they should update their systems.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer \Beta means "we're down to fixing misspelled comments in
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \the source, and you might run into a memory leak if
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \write your plugins upside-down in lisp". --ae at op5.se