rh7.3 filesystem becomes read only after update!?

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Thu Mar 31 11:57:03 UTC 2005

This usually means the filesystem jumps into read only mode because some fs
errors have occured.
We've had this problem last month with a server, and it ended up that the
harddisk was going bad.

You can try to remount the filesystem first: 'mount -o remount /home' for
example and see if that solves it..

If not, you can try to unmount the filesystem directly if possible (make
sure there's no processes keeping it occupied) and do a e2fsck on it, or
reboot it in single user mode and then fsck all filesystems if it concerns
/ or /boot for example..

It may solve it, but big chance that it'll pop back in read only mode after
a while again..

Advice: back up the system and go swap the harddisk..