Auto-reporting of successful testing packages

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Sun Jan 22 07:34:20 UTC 2006

Well,

Your script appears to be more detailed than my own. Mine's based on PHP,
yours is perl. But yum is written in python, and that's probably the language
that should be used for a FL "maintainer" RPM. Of course, what we have now
outta come first.

Question for the group: is this the direction we all are going to go?

I think the success of this type of improvement (auto-reporting) is crucial to
the long-term success of FL. If contributing to FL is a pain, few will do it.
By making as much as possible "push button", so that we can gather as much
relevant and useful info as possible without operator intervention, we
improve the likelyhood of collection of said data.

So, what about it, guys? Here we have two people who've come up with their own
solutions (a la perl and PHP) to a problem that's widely acknowledged. What
say ye?

-Ben

On Friday 20 January 2006 21:56, you wrote:
> HA,
>
> You were thinking exactly what I was thinking and I hadn't been checking
> my mail. :(
>
> Consequently, I've also done something very similar. It does however
> have a fair number of extra features including:
> a) Based on "Install Date" sourced from the rpm utilities
> b) Reports back to a central location
> c) Uses a "vote" system which basically translates to 1 vote per day the
> package is installed on the reporting system.
> d) Only reports RPMs which have been installed for longer than
> $minInstallAge but not longer than $maxInstallAge.
> e) Has a "privacy" option if you don't want to have your machines host
> name reported.
>
> Find attached the client version worthy of being put into a crontab &
> rerouted to /dev/null. It's only requirements are perl (+ a few standard
> modules notably Date::Calc) & curl to be installed.
>
> This has only been tested on Redhat 9 (I only have 1 legacy maintained
> machine 8-|).
>
> I've done a basic interface for the data here:
> http://www.seekbrain.com/legacy/index.cgi
>
> It'd be good if the script tracked what it had already sent information
> about but I couldn't see the point (and it'll stop doing so once
> maxInstallAge is reached).
>
> Happy to distribute the server side scripts if people need them.
>
> Sorry to have redone work. :-|
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Stuart
>
> --