X-Chat 2.4.0 to 2.6

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve guallar at easternrad.com
Fri Mar 10 16:24:48 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 10:37, Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net wrote:
> From: "Mike McCarty" <Mike.McCarty at NOSPAMsbcglobal.net>
> > That's the mission. You *did* read the mission statement, didn't you?

> Nope. I dont like reading :P

Part of the "Linux is free and cost is low" means that Linux users either must
read and be informed themselves, or pay someone to read and be informed.

You don't like reading. Fine.  And you want to use Linux. Fine. All together
means that you will have to get someone to do the reading for you. There is
no black magic in Linux. You either read or you get someone who reads to work
on your Linux.

> > > Not 1 of all the FC3 repo's providing a new version. I use RH since
> > > 5.0.
> > > But sinds Fedora i dislike it more and more.

Fedora is not RHL

> > Isn't that what FC4 is supposed to be?

> Where it ends? FC is not a good choice for production.

Exactly, and Fedora site (at least used to) display information  stating
something like "...Fedora is the bleeding edge.... fine for home personal
use...release cycles are short... support and bugfixing is time-limited...".

You want a server. You want long maintenance cycles. You want to run Linux.
Then pick another distribution. There are literally hundreds.

Fedora is not the only Linux distro out there.

Fedora is for testing bleeding-edge stuff for RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux).
If you were misguided, well, you said that you don't like to read.

Now that you know the truth, the most sensible thing to do is to switch to a
distro with long-term support.

If you like "the Red Hat Way" , use RHEL or CentOS or WhiteBox or several
others available, build from RHEL source code, and all of them have long
maintenance cycles.

IF you are open to other distros, there are many many many different distros.
Check, say DistroWatch. Download a few, test them and use the one that you
like with the support cycles that you like.

> Linux is stable,
> linux dont have to reboot much. Linux can run for years without a reboot. I
> do not want to upgrade my production machines every 6 months because FC has
> a new version.

Then, use another Linux distro. Fedora is not the only Linux distro.

> Those new versions holds new versions of software. Why  cant they build one
> FC and update/upgrade just the installed versions?

"they"? who are they? And why should they do it?

Maybe you can do it, whatever it is that you want. Nobody stops you.

See, every distro has a pourpose. Fedora obviously does not fit your needs. No
problem, use another distro.

> And as stated a lot in discussions lists/fora's, upgrading FC versions is
> not always without errors.

As with any other distro. Maybe Fedora it is more error-prone than others, as
it is bleeding-edge and brings many deep changes in every iteration.

> > This has been gone over many times, here. I suggest you actually go
> > and read the mission statement.

> You think every "user" reading that?

If users do not read... what do you propose? Magical Crystal balls? Do you
think a whole project must abide to anybody's desires?

Nope.

This is why there are so many different distros. Each distro covers a need.
Each distro published their mission statement in their webpage. Any user
should read that mission statement and see if it fits them. And, if it fits,
use the distro.

> Here a practical "user" example:
> - Hmm no more updates when  i do yum update
> - lets google
> - hey a new repo called legacy..
> - Ah here i found how to add it to my yum
> - Nice i get updates again
> But actualy it are not updates, but fixes/patches.
> -After some time, he finds out that newer versions are not delivered.
> -Finds alternate repos like atrpms dag dries livna etc...
> -doing yum update, "oh look again new versions :)"

note:

updates != upgrades

> This is a real example how most of the linux users are doing without read
> any statement text. Because its not intresting to read :)

This is a real example of a lazy user that does not bother to read nor
understand what is going on in his/her system.

This is a real example who has no clue what (s)he is dong.

This is a prime example of a user who needs a reality check and a different
distro.

> Danny

Regards,
Josep