upgrade from RHL 7.2 to 7.3

Lawrence 'The Dreamer' Chen dreamer at chen-online.net
Thu Mar 16 16:18:25 UTC 2006

When I did my upgrades from RHL 7.2 to 7.3 (first involving a pair of
'important' servers at work, and later my server at home....the difference
being that work machines are regularly backed up, and my Linux server at home
has never been backed up ;)

I used 'yum'.

Some of my tale is here:

http://lawrence.chen-online.net/index.php?title=yum_upgrade_of_redhat_7_2_to_7_
3&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://lawrence.chen-online.net/index.php?title=home_server_upgrade&more=1&c=1&
tb=1&pb=1

http://lawrence.chen-online.net/index.php?title=home_redhat_7_2_server_upgrade_
to_7_3&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

--

1. First installed yum and had my RHL 7.2 updating correctly from Fedora Legacy

http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh7x.php

2. Download and install the redhat-release package for 7.3

IE:	rpm -Uvh
ftp://linux21.fnal.gov/linux/legacy/redhat/7.3/os/i386/redhat-release-7.3-1.noa
rch.rpm

3. changed exactarch=1 to exactarch=0 in /etc/yum.conf

	I didn't need to do this for the machines at work, but had assorted
conflicts during the upgrade of my home server.

4. Upgrade to RHL 7.3

	yum upgrade

5. changed exactarch=0 back to exactarch=1 in /etc/yum.conf.

--

Lawrence