My personal patch for sendmail 8.12.8 on RedHat 9

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Fri Mar 24 13:34:51 UTC 2006

David Eisenstein wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> One of the reasons your original post with the patch didn't make it out on
> the list yet is that it was around 70 kiB in size, and the list software
> is set up to allow only 40kiB without moderation.  So it is being held for
> moderation.  We can either release that note to the list or reject/discard
> that post.  It's not like it's 1 MB post or anything.  :)
>
> What would you prefer that we do?

My intent was to let others that might have been scrambling to backport
the patch to 8.12.8 make use of the backported patch for sendmail 8.12.8
that I was successful in doing. The patch only applies without conflicts
on RH9's sendmail I am pretty sure.  Considering that legacy is just
upgrading sendmail to 8.12.11 and it is available in updates-testing
there is probably no need for it.

The only use I would think anyone would  have out of it is if someone
has some bizarre reason that they need to stick with 8.12.8 on RH9.  I
know I will be ditching my patched 8.12.8 and going with the official
update from legacy.  Hopefully the updated sendmail will fix a milter
problem I have where you can not send a SIGINT, SIGHUP, SIGTERM to any
milter process(they are filtered with rt_sigsetmask or something like
that).  You have to send a SIGKILL to terminate a milter on RH9.  That
is however unlikely.  I did not see anything in the changelog for
sendmail that would hint at that but I am hopeful anyway :).

I really have no preference if you want to kill the post or not.  Unless
someone speaks up that they want to see a patch that applies to sendmail
8.12.8 (updated spec was included too) I don't know if it is worth the
(70kbit * number of list users) bandwidth unless just to archive it.
Ditch it if nobody responds would be fine with me.