New sendmail and missing /usr/lib/sendmail

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 25 07:00:53 UTC 2006

Quoting Michael Kratz <mkratz at internode.com.au>:

> I just (yum) updated sendmail on a Redhat 7.3 box, and the RPM
> overwrote my sendmail.cf file and didn't create a .rpmnew or .rpmsave!
>
> Lucky I still had my custom .mc file and it didn't overwrite that.

Can you tell what was different between the old .cf and the new one?

I can see it tries to "update" the sendmail.cf to comment out any references
to "AutoRebuildAliases".  This "update" might look more sinister than it
is, or might even be more sinister than it means to be (e.g. if you run a
non-standard configuration).  In any case, it deletes the original without
saving it...  I can see where this could hose your configuration in very
rare edge cases (like running out of disk space on the device while
writing a file, etc).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics