Sendmail Patch Breaks Virtusertable Settings

Ralph Bearpark rbearpark.nospam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 20:37:37 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Ralph Bearpark <rbearpark.nospam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am left wondering if this sendmail patch actually wiped virtusertable.db.

I can now confirm that my virtusertable.db was somehow regenerated -
erroneously - when the sendmail patch was installed.

I restored the virtusertable.db from last night's backup (after the
patch was installed) and I see it bears the approximate timestamp of
the patch installation (see the _postpatch file below, mv-ed to make
way for the new, correct virtusertable.db file).

-rw-r-----  1 root root 24576 Mar 28 22:04 virtusertable.db
-rw-r-----  1 root root 12288 Mar 27 19:07 virtusertable.db_postpatch

So, why did this patch need to regenerate the virtusertable.db?  And
if it really did have to, then wtf did it have to do it incorrectly?

As it is, I dread to think how many of my regular maillists are now
halted due to the senders receiving "no such user" responses.

Regards, Ralph.