New sendmail breaks ability to mail to * <at> mmode.com

Mark Garringer mgarringer at apacmail.com
Fri Mar 31 18:20:01 UTC 2006

> Ok, this is strange.  Since installing the new sendmail packages on
> several 7.3, 9, FC1 and 3 boxes, I am no longer to able to send email
> SMS messages to anything at mmode.com.  In my maillog I see things like:
>
> Anyone experience anything similar?

We noticed the same problem yesterday. Here is what I did to confirm the issue:

*) We use RHEL 3 ES on a large number of servers, and update the RPMs nightly
from RHN.
8) We use Nagios to page us (via pin at mmode.com) when our systems have problems.
*) The updated RPM for Sendmail we installed on our server on 3/23 at 4 am.
*) We can confirm that the last SMS sent out correctly 3/27 at 6:44 am.
*) Sometime between 3/27 6:44 am and 3/29 7:04 pm it stopped working.
*) We booted up an old server which had not gotten the sendmail update (running
sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.1) and verified that we could send SMS via mmode.com.
*) We upgraded the sendmail RPM to sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.4 and verified that
we could no longer send SMS via mmode.com.
*) We rolled sendmail RPM back to sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.1 and verified that
we could send SMS via mmode.com.
*) We checked the email headers from the tests and saw that the version string
in the header changed from "8.12.11" to "8.12.11.20060308"
*) We downloaded the SRC RPM for sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.4 and removed the
version string update from the patch, and rebuild the RPM.
*) We installed the 'modified' RPM and verified that we COULD send SMS via
mmode.com.

Presently, we are not sure who to take this information to...