Re: fedora-l] Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, David Eisner wrote:

With the end of Legacy support for RH9, I'd like to migrate my Fedora
Legacified RH9 box to Centos 3.
 http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/
Any thoughts on whether this should also work with the .legacy packages?

As author of the migration instructions in question, let me give an unqualified "Yes, probably" .... ;)

I would feel safer 'stretching' into CentOS-4, just to get the later kernel, and buying the longer lifespan, but a move with a set of CentOS 3.8 spins ISO images will work, if you are a dead plain install wholly mediated by RPM, with minimal or no transition issues. But please:
	1.  	level 0 backup
	2.	strip out unused packages -- a good idea
		anyway
	3.	possibly reboot and force a full fsck on all
		partitions
	4.	remove /home if at a separate mountpoint, from
		the fstab -- no reason to risk the data

good luck -- please let us know how it turns out.

- Russ Herrold