fedora-l] Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Oct 29 02:23:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, David Eisner wrote:

> With the end of Legacy support for RH9, I'd like to migrate my Fedora
> Legacified RH9 box to Centos 3.
>  http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/
> Any thoughts on whether this should also work with the .legacy packages?

As author of the migration instructions in question, let me
give an unqualified "Yes, probably" ....  ;)

I would feel safer 'stretching' into CentOS-4, just to get the
later kernel, and buying the longer lifespan, but a move with
a set of CentOS 3.8 spins ISO images will work, if you are
a dead plain install wholly mediated by RPM, with minimal or
no transition issues.  But please:
 	1.  	level 0 backup
 	2.	strip out unused packages -- a good idea
 		anyway
 	3.	possibly reboot and force a full fsck on all
 		partitions
 	4.	remove /home if at a separate mountpoint, from
 		the fstab -- no reason to risk the data

good luck -- please let us know how it turns out.

- Russ Herrold