[Fedora-legal-list] Fwd: consider a b43-firmware package like this?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 20:59:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 13:56 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> I sent this to the rpmfusion-developers list yesterday.  It occurred
> to me that it might be worth sending here too...
>
> So, is there any chance that the wording below justifies or leads to
> approval of a b43-firwmare package in the official Fedora repository?
> If so, then I will cease my efforts to get such a package into RPM
> Fusion.  It certainly would be better for our users to have these
> packages in the main repository rather than in a 3rd party one.

Yep. I think it does. Linksys is clearly distributing those tarballs
under the terms of the GPL, which means that we can freely redistribute
them under that license. Also, the drivers themselves in that tarball
are marked as License=GPL (assuming I'm looking at the correct
subfiles):

[spot at localhost linux]$ strings bcm57xx.o |grep license
license=GPL

The best part is that I know that RH Legal has signed off on this, so
we're good to go ahead and do it.

But, please don't say that we're doing this with Broadcom's permission,
because while that may be implicitly correct, it is not explicitly true.

~spot