[Fedora-legal-list] License for wallpapers in old Fedora releases

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 19:03:19 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 11:28 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> At the Design-Team we figured it would be handy to provide (perhaps in a
> gallery) wallpapers from the old releases, so the users who liked them
> can have a handy access at the images. It is also useful to have when
> documenting our history.
>
> However, we have a licensing issue with the images created before the
> team establishment, from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora 7, when they were
> created behing the closed doors, at the Red Hat Desktop Team.
>
> My understanding is, being created Red Hat employees as part of their
> normal job and included into Fedora, those should have some Free license.

So, I should have caught this initially, but Red Hat Legal noticed that
all of these images contain the Fedora logo. Accordingly, we can't
permit these images to be released under a license which permits
modification.

So, this means there are two options remaining:

1. We can package up these backgrounds with a license identical to that
of the fedora-logos package (basically, right to use, copy, and
redistribute, but not modify, with some extra conditions around the
Fedora marks).

2. We could take the images and remove the Fedora trademarks from them
and release them under a Creative Commons license.

Or, we could do both.

Let me know what you think,

~spot