Mplayer plugin for Mozilla

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Dec 2 12:19:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, antonio montagnani wrote:

> It seems that the only plugin working with latest Mplayer from freshrpms
> is the one that you may downoad at
> http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/ i.e:
>
> mplayerplug-in 1.0pre2-1.9
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
> If you install from another repository (for example from
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/mozilla-mplayer/ it doesn't work
>
> mozilla-mplayer-0.95-1.rhfc1.test.i386.rpm is the file in such a repository.

> Hope that can help to save some time in setting a box replacing windows media players.

Actually, you may have noticed the remark in red before the
package-listing that says:

	Beware: In cooperation with ATrpms I'm not building new mozilla-mplayer
	packages. Please add ATrpms to your apt repositories to install the latest
	mplayerplug-in.

There's nothing wrong with the mozille-mplayer package, except that you
may have to change the default configuration. The reason it is deprecated
(and that the package are marked 'test') is because the proper name should
be mplayerplug-in instead of mozilla-mplayer and Axel is the authoritative
packager.

I urge you to use apt or yum, because it wouldn't have used my
mozilla-mplayer package but instead Axel's mplayerplug-in package
automatically.

Why install packages by hand, when you have apt or yum to your disposal ?