Complete system lockup

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Tue Dec 2 20:03:27 UTC 2003

This past weekend I upgraded a smooth-running RH9 to FC1.

After upgrading and applying all of the updates such as glibc,
I have begun experiencing complete system lockups.

Hardware:
Motherboard: Supermicro P6DGU (440GX chipset)
CPUs: Dual Pentium III 500MHz (Katmai)
RAM: 768MB
Drives: 1 x 9GB Seagate and DLT-4000 on motherboard AIC7890
2 x 20GB Western Digital on onboard IDE (requires ide=nodma to boot)
1 x 10x DVD-ROM on IDE primary channel as slave
NVidia GeForce 4 MX440
SB Live! Platimum (emu10k1 primary sound+MIDI)
Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (add on MIDI bus)
3Com 3C905B

The symptoms:
Each morning at 5:01am localtime (Central TZ) the system locks requiring
power off, restart, filesystem check, and metadisk resynch.
In addition to the consistent 5am lockups, I have had 3 instances of
lockups at other times. The only noticed symptom then was high load on
the CPU at the time.

Suspicions:
Cron/Anacron kicks off cron.daily at 4am central.
Some process then is causing enough load to lock the system around 5am.
The system is already 100% busy with SETI at home and some extra process
is causing load that locks the system due to a bug.
I did see one note that said the 2129 kernel fixed some 440GX bugs?
This morning I did update to 2919 kernel which I am fervently hoping has
fixed this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be lent to fixing this.
--
Exile In Paradise
I consider the day misspent that I am not either charged with a crime,