diald and on demand dialing

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Dec 3 14:26:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Juan Lupion wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that good old 'diald' is not being included in any package
> repository.  Is it because there is another way of doing on-demand
> dialing for a
> PPP connection that I am not aware of?

Yes.

> On the same subject, can the standard PPP dialers included in FC1
> reestablish
> the link if it goes down?

Yes. redhat-config-network has options for this. pppd has had on-demand dialing
for a long time. I will admit however I have had much better success with
diald than I ever had with pppd's on demand functions. It might be better
today though since I have not used an on demand dialup connection in 2 or 3
years.

HTH,