printing to a network printer

John Wendel jwendel at fnmoc.navy.mil
Wed Dec 3 18:33:57 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 10:14 pm, Don wrote:

> I don't think there is a workroup name.... there is a domain the pc
> is on... but I'll check.
>
> So, I think I'm starting to get it.... in order for FC1 to see
> Windows shares, samba client and server have to be running on
> FC1... Does that sound right?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

You certainly don't need Samba to connect to a jet-direct printer.

I'm not much of a network quru, but I've found that "netcat" is very
helpful when setting up this kind of stuff. It's the swiss-army-knife
of network tools. Very easy way to test network connectivity.

I use it all the time to send formatted postscript to a jet-direct HP
printer, since I'm too lazy to configure a print spooler <grin>.

Google for "netcat" or check freshmeat.

Regards,

John