dma error on startup

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 02:35:03 UTC 2003

Corey Taylor wrote:

>Hi all, I popped in an 80-pin cable and the error message went away!
>Thanks to all for help and suggestions. Now I'm going to scan my disk to
>see if there is any corruption, though I don't think there would be.
>
>Corey
>
>BTW it's a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40GB 7200RPM drive.
>
>On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 04:33, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

Usually, you will only lose half of your speed capability. It should not
corrupt the data. On some work computers that use the Juki half-sized
boards, the speed is halved from 100 MHz/second to a maximum of 50 MHz/
second.

Anyway, your transfer rate should be greatly improved with the 80-pin
cable. The error message was good for something. (Leading to getting a
better cable)

Jim