NVIDIA and arjanv's 2.6 test11 kernel.

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Thu Dec 4 05:09:39 UTC 2003

Just curious if anyone else has worked through this and can offer advice.

I am running the kernel-2.6.0-0.test11.1.99.i686.rpm out of :

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/

...and have followed the instructions at :

http://minion.de

...to patch and run the NVIDIA driver I got at :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4496.html

...but whenever I try to use the new NVIDIA driver it borks and says :

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate config DMA context

...I assume this relates to the note at minion.de :

"Update: arjanv kernels no longer use -mregparm=3, binary compatibility
with the closed-source NVIDIA kernel module component has been restored.
The 4GB/4GB split VM layout patch has been integrated and enabled in all
three configurations, however, which breaks the NVIDIA driver, as well.
You will need to rebuild without CONFIG_X86_4G_VM_LAYOUT."

So I guess this means I have to build my own 2.6 kernel from source
without this option set. Question...is there a semi-painless way to pull
the current kernel config and apply it to arjanv's source RPM, then just
clear this single flag and rebuild? Or a better way? Or a HOWTO anywhere?

Thanks,
John