Better up2date available?

Merc zenmerc at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 08:58:51 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 03:41, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> The one that comes with FC1 showed me I have some pending updates, but the
> last time I used the GUI up2date it said each update file was 0k long.

If you make sure your /etc/yum.conf and /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources have
the exact same repos in them, you can utilize the RHN Notification
applet to let you know when one of your repos has an update for you.
Make sure you have the latest rhn-applet RPM installed:

rhn-applet-2.1.4-3

As far as actually running up2date goes, at this point it just seems
slower and more cumbersome than yum.  I don't bother with it, so I can't
help you there.  I do remember noting that yum and up2date don't quite
agree on the status of some packages with non-standard or "3rd party"
version strings / releases.  For instance, my up2date applet needs to be
told to ignore 'yum', because it wants to grab the same version, only
tagged with 'fr' (freshRPMS), from a 3rd party repo.  I trust the
original yum packagers on this anyway.

'yum update' doesn't get much simpler.

--
Merc