acpi-related kernel build error

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 5 09:53:15 UTC 2003

  (since i've been using 2.5/2.6 kernels for the longest time, i've pretty
much ignored anything related to the 2.4 kernel, so my apologies if this
has been covered and i just ignored it.)

  i've just checked bugzilla and saw nothing on a kernel compile error
with the kernel shipped with FC1, where the build blows up with
acpi-related errors.  i'm doing this from memory as i don't have the
system in front of me, but yesterday, i was showing three folks how
to build a kernel, we did "make mrproper" as is my habit, did a test
configuration and selected *nothing* related to power management.

  the build went nicely for a while, and aborted with several lines
describing a compile error related to acpi code.  this was consistent
across all three hosts, and surprised me since we *didn't* select
ACPI features.  at least, that's what i told them to do during the
configuration.

  i'm about to check the mailing list archives and google, but if anyone
wants to save me time and point me at an explanation, that would be just
ducky.

  like i said, i'm sorry i can't produce the actual errors -- the systems
are back at the office -- but surely others have seen this.  thanks.

rday