Using Lexmark X6170 with FC1

Graeme Willox graemewillox at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 7 11:16:51 UTC 2003

On 07/12/2003 12:53 J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote

>James Drabb wrote:
>

>>Wow!  Your going to give up on Linux because of one poorly made,
>>proprietary printer?
>>

>For people who don't know anything about software freedom, this is the only
>choice available to them.  This is the trap of stressing practical ends over
>software freedom--when the software isn't as practical as proprietary
>alternatives, people have no reason to reject the proprietary alternative.
>
>This is also why we should teach newcomers about software freedom, not just
>the cool practical stuff we get by running GNU/Linux and free software on
>top of that.

I assume your argument is correct, because I don't actually know what
you're talking about.  :-)

My whole reason for experimenting with Linux is to find an alternative
to Microsoft products.  That was why I used OS/2 for several years
before IBM effectively killed it.