problem connecting windows client over fedora firewall

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Dec 7 20:12:44 UTC 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 20:00, Clifford Snow wrote:
> First off, have you check your log files?  Look in both the fedora logs
> as well as the event viewer in w2k.  Either might give you a clue of
> what the problem is.

Yes, I checked them and found nothing that indicated any problem with
networking.

> Next, try to isolate your problem.
>
> 1)Can your w2k communicate successfully with your fedora machine?  Try
> transferring a large file between machines.

Using samba that works just fine at 100Mb/s network speed.But, when I try to
read my Explorer stops responding. Seems like related to my problem !!!
This could help me further.

> 2)If you connect your w2k machine directly to the Internet, can it
> download pages successfully?

Not a nice option, I'd have to move a lot of hardware. Anyways as a last
resort I will try this.

> Verify your settings:
> 1)Do you have a proxy server, such as squid, installed?

No.

> 2) check your tcp/ip settings in w2k.

Done. Seem fine but I was wondering about MTU as mentioned in the other reply.
I can't find such setting for my network adapter (rtl8139) in windows.

> 3) check your internet options in IE.

Done many times and should be fine.

> Remove your firewall to make sure it isn't causing the problem (though
> messages should be showing up in the log if it is.)  Don't leave
> yourself unprotected for more than a few minutes.

I removed my firewall and just use basic NAT. still the same problem exists.

> Use at packet sniffing tool such as ethereal to determine what is
> causing the problem.

I tried that but messages from these programs are not that easy to read and
translate to the specific problem I'm having.
I guess I'll have to do some reading.

Thanks for your reply,
Marcel