MS SQL enterprise Manager

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Wed Dec 10 16:28:17 UTC 2003

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>	Has anyone seen a replacement (ala rdesktop) for Microsoft's Enterprise
>Manager for MS SQL Server that runs on Linux?

Run rdesktop, and run Enterprise Manager inside it.  The main thing you
won't be getting in this case is the ability to write files (backups,
SQL script, etc) directly onto your Linux box.  You can get around this
easily by:

   1. Installing an ssh daemon.  Download the cygwin installer from
      www.cygwin.com
         1. Select ssh utils from the Net package
         2. Select cygnusrv from the Admin package
         3. run sshd-config-host
   2. rdesktop in, save files to NT server's disk
   3. scp Administrator at ntserver:/cygdrive/d/database.sql ~

I've used cygwin's sshd in my live environment and seen no problems with it.

Alan