setting the default route

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Wed Dec 10 19:35:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:16, Hans Müller wrote:
> how can set the default route?
> afte booting i can change it by route del and route add.
> But what can i do the i not need to modify the routing table after boot via
> hand?

THe default route is set with the GATEWAY variable in the network config
scripts.

You can either edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network and add a
GATEWAY=ipaddress

or I am sure there is a place to set this with redhat-config-network gui
interface.  select one of the interfaces and add an entry for default
route.  this should add a GATEWAY= entry in the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? with ? being the number of the
interface.

If your interface is setup with dhcp, a default gateway should be set
automagically,

HTH

Bret