Mounting digital camera, /etc/fstab joke ?

Martin Andersen martin at al-data.dk
Thu Dec 11 11:45:33 UTC 2003

Hello.

When I turn on my Sony DSC-P31 USB camera, a new
line is added to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Very nice, but the system doesn't mount the camera. ls /mnt/camera shows
nothing. So I need to do mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera for getting
access to the camera (only as root).

When I turn off the camera, the line in /etc/fstab disappears.

So what is the point of the line in /etc/fstab ?
How can I get the system to mount the camera as non-root without
writing something everytime I plug it in ? If I alter /etc/fstab will it
not be overwritten at boot ? Or when I turn camera on/off ?

Martin.