nfs version problem?

Richard Trice tricer at asc.edu
Thu Dec 11 22:16:12 UTC 2003

I am attempting to get a redhat 8.0 server and a fedora server to
talk.   Specifically to nfs mount the updates.   The 8.0 server exports
/home/updates/fedora and the fedora server mounts them.   (I have
starred out the name of the nfsserver.)

[root at richtest root]# mount -o soft ***********:/home/updates/fedora
/updates
[root at richtest root]# cd /updates
[root at richtest updates]# ls
epic-1.0.1-16.i386.rpm
ethereal-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm
ethereal-gnome-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm
gaim-0.74-5.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i686.rpm

however I can't do anything with the files.   rpm,cp,mv,... etc.. causes
the
shell to stop responding and the system to issue a whole bunch of the
following

Dec 11 13:39:33 richtest kernel: nfs: server ********.***.** not
responding, still trying
Dec 11 13:39:41 richtest kernel: nfs: server ************** not
responding, still trying
Dec 11 13:41:14 richtest kernel: nfs: server ************** OK

What is weird is that the rest of my 8.0 machines work just fine with
the nfs server and
the fedora servers can nfs amoungst themselves just fine.    Anyone have
any information
on what might be wrong?    These machines are all on a 100mbit LAN and
all (save the
fedora boxes) have the latest patches.

Rich