xcdroast is fast...grip is too slow...

Brian Anderson bikehead at amberpoint.com
Thu Dec 11 22:32:35 UTC 2003

I have a Dell laptop running FC1 using xcdroast and grip updated from
freshrpms.  When I use xcdroast, I can copy tracks from an audio CD at
pretty rapid speed.  However, using grip it just crawls at a barely
perceptable pace.  For example, xcdroast will rip a track in about 10
seconds whereas grip will take about 5 minutes!

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?  The cd writer has
the ide-scsi driver on top of it.  I tried playing with the DMA setting,
but it is set to 'on' and will not turn off using hdparm.

-Brian