raid controller recommendation

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Fri Dec 12 02:16:19 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating wrote:

> For 2 drive stuff, sure maybe.  But we deal with 4/8/12/16 drive
> chassis, all on 3ware stuff.  I don't think software raid can handle
> those situations.

Linux_software_raid is *stable*

> Especially not with remote web configurations,
> alerts (included, not build your own), etc...

remote _web_ for critical storage ? command line is the best.

> Software raid has it's place, and it's cheap, but the Original Poster
> asked for a hardware solution.  The only solution I would consider is a
> 3ware solution.

Do you believe that LiNUX_soft_raid is worse to be 'soft'?

You are wrong. Why is 3w best ?

Maybe if you buy a high end board, with a Xscale 600-700Mhz chip you will
get better performance. But low end boards with *100Mhz* , the most
ordinary boards out there, you are going to win _nothing_. Mainly because
linux_soft_raid is very well designed and current system processors/buses
and memory are very fast today.

And remember, if you have HW raid boards implementations you must have
the *same board* _very near_ because they use a owner format(double expense)