Fedora CD's and update questions (from RHL 8)

Aurelio Sánchez fae7901 at terra.es
Sun Dec 14 13:34:18 UTC 2003

El sáb, 13-12-2003 a las 18:24, Colin J Thomson escribió:

> First off I run RH8 with custom kernel/packages and the kde-redhat packages
> and would really like to migrate over to Fedora, has anyone done this from
> RH8 and what is the best way to go about it. Also  how well supported is KDE
> in Fedora,

I use Fedora Core 1 in two machines, an Athlon desktop and a
Fujitsu-Siemens laptop, both were with Red Hat 8, and both were upgraded
from CD's distribution without major problems....

* some sort of misaligned simlynks in /etc/networking (easy to fix).
* some problem related to XFree86 4.3.x and S3 ProSavageDDR
videochipsets (fixed thanks to Tim Roberts
www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html, using directly his last precompiled
savage_o.drv and the special setup for XF86Config related to BIOS)

The rest were so easy or not a problem at all. Please note that I don't
run a server (HTTP or FTP), or some sort of mail advance on these
machines. They are only fully functional desktops (multimedia included
thanks to Mattias Saou...:-), without embarrasing in Windoze comparison
(in fact, I like more my Linux feels...:-). I use NFS and Samba to
comunicate both machines, and quite often the laptop with enterprise
machines (Windows operated), but a did not run advanced networks.

Specially remarkable is the fact that with Fedora Core 1, and by the
very first time, the upgrade on laptop was very, very easy (just plug
CD's and run...the update with up2date and yum). I've started with Red
Hat Linux 6.1 (desktop), then 7.1 (laptop, with too many problems) then
7.3 (upgraded with too many problems, then fresh installed, more
problems on laptop...), then 8 (first to fresh installing well, both
desktop and laptop, but unable to upgrade quite well from 7.3)...and
now, this shining Fedora Core 1.....¡a champion!...:-)

--
Saludos,

Aurelio Sánchez
fae7901 circling terra Spain
fae7901 circling yahoo Spain

Registered Linux User # 272846
GNU Privacy Guard Public Key available at pgp.rediris.es

Created by Ximian Evolution 1.4.5 running on Fedora Core 1