.bash_profile problem

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 11:02:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 Bart.Wille at jacobs.com wrote:

> Why doesn't .bash_profile work in Fedora Core 1?
> When I log into a console, neither .bash_profile or .bashrc works.
>
> How can I enable this?

As other have stated 'it works for us'.
How do you log into a console?

First make sure that bash is the shell invoked for you. It will
be in your passwd line, or you can see it with ps.  Other shells
might be sh, ksh, csh, zsh, tcsh. The text file /etc/shells
contains a list of shell that tools will install or you as a user
can switch too with the "chsh" (change shell) command.  Root can
make anything your shell.

The command 'ps' should tell you which shell you have active.
Looks like:
	$ ps
	PID   TTY      TIME     CMD
	21497 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
	21795 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

Next if you are running bash read the man page (man bash) and
look at the the INVOCATION section and note the difference
between a login shell, interactive shell, non-interactive shell.

One key to understanding is that subshells inherit variables and
state from the parent so the reading of 'dot' files is altered.

Next note that in an X window system the way a terminal emulator
is launched is different than if you login without X or use ssh,
telnet or another way in.

Also pay attention to the 'terminal' you use. There are multiple
choices, xterm, kterm, gnome-terminal, bsod, konsole and more.
Each has different invocations that might interact with your
chosen shell.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48 -a*t- yahoo-dot-com