glibc headache

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Mon Dec 15 06:47:39 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 16:10, Diego Ventrice wrote:
> Yes Im doing it by hand and Im not quite sure if booting from the CD would
> be of any help.

You might be surprised :)

> I'd rather try to fix the problem and continue upgrading by hand like I
> always did.

Like you always did?  You've actually upgraded by hand across major
version numbers older than 7.x enough to say always?  That would mean
you have done it this way from 5.x to 6.x to 7.x or something similar?

There are some major changes between 7.x and fedora, so I don't know if
upgrading packages bit by bit while the system is running would work.
Apparently yum makes a good go of it though.

But back to booting from the cd.  The fedora install cd will detect a
this not what you want?

> > > I just started upgrading from RH 7.2 to Fedora 1, everything went just
> > > fine till I upgraded glibc.
> > > after that I couldn't get any  other rpm installed, I always get a
> > > "Segmentation fault" error.

You might try the rpm trick, although I think that problem was only
there from 8.0:
rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
rpm --rebuilddb

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

This file will self-destruct in five minutes.