Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 16 00:47:51 UTC 2003

h.breimer wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:48:28 -0500
>Jim Cornette <Jim-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>h.breimer wrote:

>>>                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>2.6 uses /etc/modprobe.conf
>>>The first time make it with:
>>>
>>>/sbin/generate-modprobe.conf
>>>
>>>henk
>>>

>>When do you run this command? I tried the command in the 2.6 kernel
>>environment and got the below error.
>>
>>/sbin/generate-modprobe.conf
>>/sbin/generate-modprobe.conf: line 32: modprobe.old: command not found
>>Cannot find old version of modprobe. Giving up.
>>
>>jim
>>

>This command has only to be run once.
>Now look at /etc/modprobe.conf
>What you had in modules.conf has been translated to modprobe.conf
>syntax.
>The error arises just from your not having an earlier modprobe.conf.
>Ignore it. Modules should be loaded now.
>
>henk

Thanks for the information. I had to run redhat-config-soundcard to get
any sound. It sounds better with the 2.6 kernel. Sounds more spacial.

The sound tool on the toolbar (applet) does not work. (no audio device).
The open volume control functions though.

It is nice to have sound again. I looked at /etc/modprobe.conf and
at/etc/modules.conf - Both existed but did not look anything close to
each other.

modules.conf had this.

alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

modprobe.conf had only the ethernet card (twice). One works, one doesn't.
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x

Jim