Soundcard advice from an ameteur

Omar Chacon chacono at georgetown.edu
Tue Dec 16 15:38:18 UTC 2003

My newly installed Fedora workstation (Core release Yarrow
2.4.22-1.2129) is not able to detect a sound card even though there is a
functional sound card installed (crystal wmd audio).  I know that the
sound card works because I used the same PC with WinXP and it worked
fine, I also used it with a different version of Linux and it worked fine.
Here is what I can tell you and please forgive the ignorance:

Soundcard Detection utility is not able to find a sound card.

Hardware Browser has 3 devices under sound.  They are CS4236B:Game,
CS4236B:MPU, CS4236B:WSS/SB.

Hardware Broser also has 1 device under Unknown Devices.  It is
CS4236B:Crtl

The PC in question is a Dell Optiplex GX1 with an Intel 440 chipset.
The sound device as reported under the WinXP device manager is Crystal
WDM Audio Codec.

Any help will be appreciated but it is not the end of the world if I can
not get it to work.

Thanks.