Problems exporting PATH after modified.

Blake A. Storm blakestorm at mac.com
Tue Dec 16 16:09:24 UTC 2003

<snip>

>> What I do is I modify the PATH variable, and then export it. After this when I call "echo $PATH" the output displays the new modified string. BUT as soon as I log-out and log-in again the new modified PATH is gone and replaced by the original.
>>
>> Please HeLp. I have consulted a number of books and nowhere have I found anything

<snip>

>You are not saving the new variable value i.e after logout and login you
>get the old value.
>save your new value to path in your ~/.bash_profile

>PATH=$PATH:new value
>export PATH

>HTH.
 >-- >vikram... Shouldn't that go in ~/.bashrc? As I recall .profile and
.bash_profile are not necessarily read by xterm because X is started by
a script when using startx (.profile only effects a login shell)...dunno
if kdm/konsole would have the same problem. ~/.bashrc is read regardless
even if you used startx and an xterm. I am not sure about kde because I
don't use it, but I am interested in getting clarification on that
issue. --Blake