cdrom/floppy umount issue possible bug

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed Dec 17 14:14:46 UTC 2003

Around about 17/12/2003 12:15, Gustavo Rahal typed ...
> I have this same problem. At least for me what happens is that the
> process "fam" keeps the cdrom busy. I can only umount it after killing
> this process.  Type "/sbin/fuser -mv /mnt/cdrom" to check if this is
> your case...
> Does anybody know what is the purpose of this process?

   I've seen this *a lot* under Fedora - glad I'm not the only one :-)

   IIUC, 'fam' is used to monitor file updates - so, e.g., you can have
your process get a callback when a file changes instead of keep polling
it 'manually'.

   Obviously, something is setting up a fam monitor of files on a CDROM
(or the drive itself).  I'd initially suspect GNOME 2.4's nautilus.
Unfortunately, there seems no way to interrogate fam as to what it
thinks it's up to.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature