Modem lights--success

John Cox pk at highstream.net
Wed Dec 17 21:01:10 UTC 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:15:45 -0500
John Cox <pk at highstream.net> wrote:

>> I can't get modem lights to disconnect or connect  ppp0. I have to use
>> network device control. This is a new install of fedora and the commands
>> in modem lights say sbin/ifup ppp0 to connect and sbin/ifdown ppp0 to
>> disconnect.

When you set up your modem, did you give your ISP a name?  If so, change
the commands in modem lights accordingly.  For example, if you called your
ISP "highstream" when you set up the modem, change

/sbin/ifup ppp0

/sbin/ifup highstream

For example, I called my ISP "Mindspring", so the commands I use in
that modem lights applet are

/sbin/ifup Mindspring
/sbin/ifdown Mindspring

If you don't remember what you called your ISP, open up a shell window and
type:

ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*

You should see something like this:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Mindspring

Pick the thing after the last dash that isn't eth0 or lo

That was simple. I had seen that answer somewhere else too but it had
said "account name" and I thought that was my fedora user name. Being a
newbie is a humbling experience. Thank you.