Hang at boot: Compaq Presario 800

Mike scopeguy at postman.net
Wed Dec 17 21:29:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:26:26 -0500, David Muse wrote

> I have the exact same notebook.
>
> Use the following bootstring:
>
> 	linux apm=off nofirewire
>
> You may run into difficulty with the cardbus (pcmcia slot)
> later though.  Apparantly, the 2.4 kernels do something
> differently than the 2.2 kernels and the cardbus never
> gets initialized.  When I bought my laptop, I was running
> redhat 6.2 and everything worked fine.  When I upgraded
> to 7.0, the cardbus stopped working.  I tried everything
> and the only thing that I can get to work is to keep a
> stripped down redhat 6.2 installation in a small partition
> on the hard drive, boot to it when I power-on the laptop,
> then reboot (without powering down the laptop) into
> fedora.  Apparantly, the 2.2 kernel initializes the cardbus
> and it retains it's initialized state across the reboot as
> long as the laptop isn't powered off.
>
> If anyone else out there has this laptop and has a different
> solution for making the cardbus work, I'd love to hear about
> it.
>
> Dave Muse

David,

I don't know if this is true in your case or not, but my Toshiba notebook
makes a distinction between 16 and 32 bit adapters. You have to go into the
bios setup and enter which type you have. In my case there is also an "auto"
setting which does not work under Fedora.

Hope this helps.
Mike Smith
--
Free Internet WebMail (http://www.postman.net/)