Detecting of modem's turned on?

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu Dec 18 11:01:53 UTC 2003

   If I 'ifup' to dial up via my modem, I get a pppd that never works
nor returns a failure if my modem's turned off.

   I'd like to set up a cron job to login overnight & do updates/big
downloads (I don't pay for Net calls between 01:00 & 07:00), but I don't
necessarily want it to happen every night, and I don't want my modem on
100% of the time.

   Is there anything I can script that will do a noddy access to the
modem (ATZ or something) and let me know if it's responding or not
before I call ifup?

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature