Wireless profiles.

Anthony Best abest at digitalflex.net
Thu Dec 18 19:22:51 UTC 2003

Renato Ricardo de Abreu wrote:

>hi,
>
> You have to put your configuration in
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN file, it must look like :
>
>DEVICE=ethN
>BOOTPROTO=static
>IPADDR=192.168.0.2
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
>ESSID=YOUR_ESSID
>KEY="s:YOUR_KEY"
>
>[]s Renato

... doesn't answer my question, or are you saying that I have to remove
the other options to have multiple profiles? Or that I need to use
ifcfg-eth1 instead of keys-eth1, after changing the perms of ifcfg1. If
I don't use neat I still have to copy a few files.

The quickwich seems to work although I found the config to be too
complex, and doesn't work with the existing
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/ files/directorys.

What I need is a simple way of switching wireless networks quickly with
out requiring root password (eg, USERCTL). Someone else who seems to
have this same issue: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/24364

I think the solution for me is to write my own gnome applet.

Ultimately, on boot it should detect which network is present and switch
to that profile (the whole point to the SSID), secondarily you should be
able to switch to another profile via a gnome applet (or equivalent for
KDE, etc).