Security related updates

Jani Ollikainen k0001744 at evtek.fi
Fri Dec 19 18:38:28 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 03:35:24PM +0000, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> >  How about adding an extra branch in the (ftp) update tree which holds only
> > security related updates? This could ease the burden on administrators that
> > don't need to stay bleeding edge, but do of course need the security
> > updates. This saves them the trouble of checking all announcements to
> > establish which updates are needed and which are not.
> I second that - and make it a yum repo as well.

little rant about fedora (and i'm little bit drunk):

Yes, that would be nice. But it seems that there is no will to make
that kinds of things. I think fedora development is still too much
in redhat's hands so that would be too much enterprise option.
Like the life cycles of fedora distribution is so bad, how about
microsoft told that you have to upgrade your windows 2 times per year.
That would be total hell, and I think this is the case with fedora also.

If fedora is supposed to be community driven so fedora could to
like debian having stable, unstable and testing all the time and
not releasing new fedora cores too often.

But the upgrade is so easy! Yeah right, maybe the upgrade procedure
by making the commands is easy but then you have to check the
configuration files and fix them if there's new options in them,
usually when some software makes a major upgrade like apache1->apache2,
samba2->samba3, etc. And those configuration changes are not so quick
to fix and that means downtime to the services which I don't appreciate.

Maybe we have now easy upgrade but that won't solve the issues with
configuration files and their compability.

Plus I think fedora if too much for the desktop, I'm old linux user
and I use virtual consoles, not X and n+1 xterms or something like that.

But the main point your rant was? That's a good question, maybe I hope
that there would be some others saying we don't want fedora to only
be a bleeding edge desktop distribution. I've seen requests like that
in this lists and that makes me worry.

You just make this rant to make fedora be good in enterprise usage?
Not really, I used rh7.3 at my home before fedora and was happy with
that. It worked and was stable.

And that wasn't my 0.02¤ ;)

--
 Jani Ollikainen   http://iki.fi/bestis/