Rhytmbox failure

Alex White prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 19 21:35:38 UTC 2003

> >osscommon: unable to open /dev/dsp (in use?)
> >
> >What does it mean??

> It could also be a permission problem, try doing whatever it is you're
> doing as root.

If it is a permissive issue, then you would be better off not running
as root. I wouldn't ever suggest running as root when you're generating
errors. Unless of course you know it's not gonna trash anything.

It's probably faster and easier to run it as root, but you could always
just change the permissions of /dev/dsp using the following command
(as root of course):

chmod 666 /dev/dsp

This was something I had to do on occasion with slackware when I wanted
to run xmms and the device wouldn't let me send data to it. =-( On a far
rarer occasion I had to do this in RedHat 8 and 9 as well as some earlier
versions. At anyrate, give that a shot.

Alex (HTH)