Assigning group rights (was: Re: Root isn't God

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 21 01:46:25 UTC 2003

Bruce W. Bigby wrote:

> Here's an example of my fstab entry:
>
> /dev/hda1       /c          vfat
> defaults,uid=bigby,gid=bigby,umask=007   1 2
>
> The umask makes the files and directories rwx for user and group, and
> NOT readable, writable, or executable by other.  The bigby is my family
> group. Anyone in my family can read, write, or search/execute the
> files.  Noone else can do a thing.

Ok, I guess thats a good idea. I still wonder though how the group-thing
works. If someone is in group bigby, say user1. Then she logs on to
userid user1 and gets the permissions for user1. Are all group
permissions assigned automatically, or do you have to change group in
some way?

Guus (have been using Linux for some time now, but still not clear on
some issues. That's for being a non-sysadmin at work).
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)