IP Configuration

Jonathan Alexander Daniel jdaniel1 at nyc.rr.com
Sun Dec 21 15:04:14 UTC 2003

I just installed Fedora as an upgrade to RedHat 9.0.  I lost my internet connection.

Upon booting I get the following information:

ipchains and ip tables can not be used together [Warning]
Determining IP information for eth1...failed; no link present.  Check cable?

But I know the cable is working.

When I look at the network information I get the following for eth1 (the device I am using for the internet connection):

Device                                Type        Device    Status
3c900B-TPO [Etherlink XL]   Ethernet  Eth1        ok

Active profile: common

If I try to activate this (it is listed as inactive) I get the following message:

redhat-config-network: Error saving configuration!
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: //etc/sysconfig/network-scripts//ifcfg-lo.rpmsave

If I do cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and do ls, what I can see is that file (ifcfg-lo.rpmsave) but it is surrounded by a brownish-red background which is flashing.  If I do "less ifcfg-lo.rpmsave" I get the message, "No such file or directory."

Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to re-establish my network connection?

TIA