IP Configuration

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Dec 21 12:46:10 UTC 2003

Am So, den 21.12.2003 schrieb Jonathan Alexander Daniel um 16:04:
> If I try to activate this (it is listed as inactive) I get the
> following message:
>
> redhat-config-network: Error saving configuration!
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> //etc/sysconfig/network-scripts//ifcfg-lo.rpmsave

*.rpmsave files are files, where the update process will save current
configuration files.

You should have a file
   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
which reads as follows:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

And you should have an file
which reads as follows (using dhcp, adjust as needed):

# Intel Corp.|82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (LOM)
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:0D:60:10:75:35
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=myname
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes

As an alternative you can use redhat-config-network's new option to
create an entry for your ethernet card. Or you can delete all ifcfg-*
files in the network-scripts directory, than create the new ones as
described above and adjust it using the redhat-config-network's edit
function.