Realplayer or Mediaplayer streams with mplayer or gxine or xmms

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 22 20:12:24 UTC 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, James Drabb wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 18:05, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I've installed mplayer from Freshrpms, mozplugger, and gxine, and I am
> > still having trouble playing streams from Mozilla.  Some examples of
> > things I can't get are any of the streams at
> > http://publicbroadcast.net/wncw/ppr/index.shtml or any of the clips at
> > www.npr.org.  The m3u stream at the former site I can play directly in
> > xmms, but it won't start when I click the link in Mozilla.
> >
> > Is there something that needs to be fixed in either of the config files to
> > make these work correctly?  Or should I be setting these up in
> > some other way?  Realplayer used to work (as a helper) with no
> > problems when I was running RH9 (except for the problems getting it
> > installed in the first place).
> >
> > As an alternative, how well does the Helix player work?
> >
> > TIA.
>
> They both played for me with Totem.  When I clicked on the m3u file, I
> was prompted for a program to open it with or to save it to disk.  I put
> /usr/bin/totem in the "Open with" box and then checked "Do this
> automatically for files like this from now on".  Now m3u files are
> always opened with totem.  From the npr site, I picked the MS Windows
> Media format and again, used /usr/bin/totem to play it.
>
> One thing you need to do to with Totem, Xine or MPlayer to play all the
> audio/video formats is to install the win32 codecs from
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/.  Download the codecs and extract them all to a
> directory named /usr/lib/win32.

OK I got gxine to work as a helper (as you described).  That's how
realplayer was working, so I think I'm good now.  Couldn't get the .m3u
link working (might be some conflict about what's going to handle it), but
the .pls stream works fine.

BTW, some things on the NPR site are Real format only, so I did have to
get that working to listen.

Thanks!

--
		Matthew Saltzman