config help please

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Dec 24 00:58:41 UTC 2003

Caleb R wrote:

> Hello everyone
> I am currently running Fedora Core 1 on my Sony Vaio Laptop.
> Everything works except the sound correctly and I cannot seem to get
> the usb drive to work. I just bought a 256mb cruzer. I also read the
> an article on mounting the drive, but it does not seem to work for me.
>
> Maybe I am doing something wrong or I am just lost. Can anyone offer
> me some assistance?
> Thanks
>
> Below is the link that I read in order to get this to work.
> Thanks
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1256786,00.asp

I have a USB 2.0 book drive with an ATA drive inside it.This is
recognized by the kernel and is given /dev/sda as an identity. I found
out the drive by typing the below within a root terminal, as someone
earlier suggested.

fdisk -l

You should get a list of hard disks. Look for a device that is 256 megs
big.

You should be able to find information in the list archives or by doing
a google search for the stuff that needs to be added to your /etc/fstab
file and to what directory to make to mount the flash drive on, like
/mnt/flashdrive or something similar.

If the flashdrive is ntfs, you will not be able to mount it, unless you
get an ntfs driver and install it. This information is also in the
archives (somewhere)

Jim