Help me get SpamAssassin working on FC1, please, I am gettingswamped

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 03:55:20 UTC 2003

Postfix does not use procmail by default.  You can add the line

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

to /etc/postfix/main.cf to invoke procmail for mail delivery.

Running 'rpm -qi spamassassin' gives you all you need to get spamassassin
working with procmail, i.e.  add the line:

INCLUDERC=/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-default.rc

to /etc/procmailrc.

The only problem with taking this route is that a separate procmail process
will be spawned for each email that requires delivery.  That's probably not
totally ideal, (and then again I could be talking out my....)

So for the shameless plug here, are some instructions I pieced together for
installing amavisd-new to tie together AV and SPAM scanning with your mail
delivery using postfix.  I did it on Fedora Core 1 so I know that it will
work if you apply yourself :)  If you don't have McAfee for Linux just use
ClamAV.  http://www.montleon.com/mcafee+amavis+postfix+spamassassin.html for
installing postfix, spamassassin, and amavisd-new all together.  Honestly I
found the tag at 3.0 and quarantine at 6.5 (or whatever) that are the
defaults for amavis WAY to lax.  I tag at 2.9 and quarantine at 3.0...  that
blocks almost everything and I don't get false positives, but maybe I'm just
lucky; obviously tweak to your preference in /etc/amavisd.conf

Hope one of these solutions helps,
Jason