up2date not automatic

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Wed Dec 24 06:51:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:38:46 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

On my third try, it finally worked without aborting due to an invalid
GPG key signing. Immediately upon installation, the existing RHN Alert
Icon turned red and I found 6 updates available, including yet another
kernel update. But.....

After I installed those 6 packages and rebooted, the darn icon is
showing a blue check again and it is not even connected to the
internet yet.

>I do not run yum, I run up2date to update from a yum repository. My
>/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file looks like this:
>
>===BEGIN================
>#up2date default
>
>yum fedora-core-1 http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1
>
>yum updates-released
>ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/1/i386
>===END=THREE=LINES=======

Mine is pretty much the same, with a number of other comments in
between.

>In order to see if your system is configured properly, what happens
>when you run?:
>
>up2date --nox -u --dry-run

If my dialup connection is established first, then the command above
results in it going through all its "fetching" routine and ending up
saying that all packages are up to date, which is true right now.

The thing is that even before I connected to the net, the icon was
showing blue, when it should be showing that it cannot connect
instead. I guess I will have to wait until some additional update
comes available and then see IF the icon will find it and show me
anything different, or still remain blue as though all is up to date.

Thanks for your efforts and info!
Dennis C.