Better POP daemon?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 24 18:19:08 UTC 2003

Steven Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:16:44 +0100, you wrote:
>

>>Am Mi, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Steven Stern um 16:21:
>

>>You problem is commonly a DNS problem. If you can answer the above
>>question with yes then it is sure. So check your DNS settings, at least
>>a proper setup of your /etc/hosts file. Because of lack of detailed
>>information about your network situation - like where the POP3 server
>>resides and how your mail client is connected to it - I can not give you
>>a more describtive answer.
>>
>>Alexander
>>

> I'm popping directly to the IP address, 192.168.123.175.  It's about 10 feet
> away on a 100Mbps connection.

You could still be having DNS issues...especially if you are using
ident.  Check the xinetd.d POP startup stuff (typically
/etc/xinetd.d/ipop3) and see if you have something like

	log_on_* += HOST

If so, delete the HOST bit or comment out the line(s).  That causes a
reverse DNS lookup to be done for the client so the client FQDN can
be logged.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -